Dating Policy Template for the Cannabis Workplace
This sample policy addresses cannabis workplace dating and consensual romantic relationships occurring between co-workers and among co-workers and managers, supervisors and others in positions of corporate authority over terms and conditions of employment.
It outlines the cannabis company’s objective in maintaining the policy and describes prohibited conduct in detail. The policy includes examples of conduct that would be considered in violation of the policy and its consequences.
[Company Name] strongly believes that a work environment where employees maintain clear boundaries between employee personal and business interactions is most effective for conducting business and enhancing productivity.
Although this policy does not prevent the development of friendships or romantic relationships between co-workers, it does establish boundaries as to how relationships are conducted during working hours and within the working environment.
Individuals in supervisory or managerial roles and those with authority over others’ terms and conditions of employment are subject to more stringent requirements under this policy due to their status as role models, their access to sensitive information, and their ability to affect the terms and conditions of employment of individuals in subordinate positions.
This policy does not preclude or interfere with the rights of employees protected by the National Labor Relations Act or any other applicable statute concerning the employment relationship.
- During working time and in working areas, employees are expected to conduct themselves in an appropriate workplace manner that does not interfere with others or with overall productivity.
- During the nonworking time, such as lunches, breaks, and before and after cannabis work periods, employees engaging in personal exchanges in nonwork areas should observe an appropriate workplace manner to avoid offending other workers or putting others in an uncomfortable position.
- Employees are strictly prohibited from engaging in physical contact that would in any way be deemed inappropriate by a reasonable person while anywhere on company premises, whether during working hours or not.
- Employees who allow personal relationships with co-workers to adversely affect the cannabis work environment will be subject to the appropriate provisions of [Company Name]’s disciplinary policy, including counseling for minor problems. Failure to change behavior and maintain expected work responsibilities is viewed as a serious disciplinary matter.
- Employee off-duty conduct is generally regarded as private, as long as such conduct does not create problems within the workplace. An exception to this principle, however, is romantic or sexual relationships between supervisors and subordinates.
- Any supervisor, manager, executive or other company officials in a sensitive or influential position with [Company Name] must disclose the existence of a romantic or sexual relationship with another co-worker.
- Disclosure may be made to the immediate supervisor or the director of human resources (HR). This disclosure will enable [Company Name] to determine whether any conflict of interest exists because of the relative positions of the individuals involved.
- With regard to Paragraph 6, when a conflict-of-interest problem or potential risk is identified, [Company Name] will work with the parties involved to consider options for resolving the problem. The initial solution may be to make sure the parties no longer work together on matters where one is able to influence the other or take action for the other. Matters such as hiring, firing, promotions, performance management, compensation decisions and financial transactions are examples of situations that may require reallocation of duties to avoid any actual or perceived reward or disadvantage. In some cases, other measures may be necessary, such as transfer to other positions or departments.
- With regard to Paragraph 6, if one or both parties refuse to accept a reasonable solution or to offer of alternative position, if available, such refusal will be deemed a voluntary resignation.
- Failure to cooperate with [Company Name] to resolve a conflict or problem caused by a romantic or sexual relationship between co-workers or among managers, supervisors or others in positions of authority over another employee in a mutually agreeable fashion may be deemed insubordination and cause for immediate termination. The disciplinary policy of [Company Name] will be followed to ensure fairness and consistency before any such extreme measures are undertaken.
- The provisions of this policy apply regardless of the sexual orientation of the parties involved.
Where doubts exist as to the specific meaning of the terms used above, employees should make judgments on the basis of the overall spirit and intent of this policy.
- Any concerns about the administration of this policy should be addressed to the director of HR.
Let us know what you think.
(NOTE: Before you can optimize training, you must do is get a clear picture on WHO is learning, HOW do they make an impact, and WHAT their professional development requirements are. Download our proven "Cannabis Training Optimization Strategy" now and get clear on what's needed to learn.)